Monday, January 23, 2006

Been There! Done That!! Bugured now!!!

Well, I had a good run last in Mumbai. Here is the break-up of my time. I hope it makes sense to you. btw,

14.1km 0.56.38
23.2 km 1.35.22
32.5km 2.21.54
finish 3.19.30

Any way, I wore a singlet with the Tibetan flag with a message that "FREE TIBET from Chinese Occupation"

Well, the first half of the race, I did really well, but when the sun was out, it was fairly hard to run in the heat. The temperature was pretty high around 26c.

Most of the way, people were chearing me on and sometimes they would call out, " Go sri lanka! GO!!!" It was really funny to see these educated people getting confused with the Tibetan flag for Sri Lanka. Then, some people would should shout out, " Go India!!!' when I got closer to them, they would kind of mumble and say, " oh!! he's a Tibetan!" I could only smile at their lack of decernment to features of people from Tibet. Then again it's a good thing they accepted me as just another person and cheered me on. One"aunty" even gave me a chocolate biscuit to eat! That biscuit was really needed at that part of the race.

At the 32 km mark, all my energy was totally depleted and I kept trying to move my legs but, they were bloody tired. I generally take some money with me when go out for a run, This time carrying money proved very useful. I stopped at a roadside store and bought me a nice bar of chocolate and stuffed myself and continued on. The last 10 kms were the toughest, but I kept thinking of all the fun things that I have done in the last few months, I was just trying to take my minds off things. Especaillyall the jokes that Tsering (a Tibetan Friend) used to tell me, I imagined him with his football matches with his yellow hair etc. I also remembered all the crazy people I have met. I kept me going till the end of the race.

I finished the race at around 11:15 and they gave me medal for finishing the race. Then I went and got my time printed on an official certificate. Finally I dragged myself off to the nearest pub to get me a nice bottles of foster's, I realised I had only an hour and half to drag myself onto the train, back to the sweat paradise called Chennai. So, I reluctantly abandoned the idea of taking the muscle relaxant and got myself a nice bowl of noodles which was so good.

It was so nice to have a bath in cold water. Before the race, I had taped all my toes in surgical tape to stop the blisters. I have no blisters from this race, I also didn't lose any of toe nails!

Enough about the mumbai marathon, now I have to start training again for the next race that is on in three weeks. I better start burning more fat fairly soon. Yeah, I went down from 68kgs to 62, my target is to achieve somewhere around 58-60. In Chennai heat, that can be done quite easily.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Tanvir Kazmi said...

Great timing, Jacob. Let us know your overall ranking as well, it must be pretty decent, I imagine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home